Thursdays in July & August of 2017!
The Memoir Project: Nantucket returns to the Atheneum in 2017. This eight week writing will capture islanders telling the stories ofÂ life on Nantucket and publish them in a book. The Memoir Project is open to anyone age 60 or above with a connection to Nantucket. The course fee is $85.
GrubStreet instructor Michelle Seaton will guide participants through the writing process and help them turn their stories into polished narratives of lasting value. At the end of the course, the Atheneum will publish a bound collection of the finished memoirs.
The first Memoir Project: Nantucket course was offered in 2010 and culminated in the publication of Little Gray Island: Life Stories from Nantucket, a best-selling book of memoirs from 24 long-time island residents.
The class meets for a two hour session every Thursday in July. Additionally, writers will meet four Thursdays in August to hone their piece one-on-one with a coach. Participants can choose between a morning session (10 am – 12 pm) or afternoon session (1 – 3 pm).
For more information or to register, please contact Amy Jenness at email@example.com or call her at 508-228-1110 ext 118.
Registration Form (pdf) Please Register by June 1.
You may email the registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org or submit it with payment at the library’s front desk.
The Memoir Project was one of the most fun, and memorable projects I have ever done. Â I reached back to recall things that I hadn’t thought about in eons, but more special than that, I had an opportunity to hear some of the most interesting people share their stories with the rest of us…a true experience!Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Jayne Kenyon, 2010 class participant
- Michelle Seaton, lead instructor and curriculum developer for the Memoir Project for over a decade, will be the course instructor.
- The class meets on Thursdays from July 6 to August 31, 2017 (no class the first week in August). The program consists of four two-hour classes followed by four individual coaching sessions. Classes will be held at the Atheneum.
- Both a morning and an afternoon section will be offered, for a total enrollment of 24 students (12 per section).Â This allows the course to produce enough memoirs to fill a published volume (along with photographs), while keeping the class size intimate.
- In addition to formal instruction, the students will be assigned a writing coach. The coaches will be selected from the Nantucket community.
- All of the finished memoirs and photos of the participants will be collected into a published book, edited and produced by the Nantucket Atheneum.
- Proceeds from past sales of Little Gray Island are funding the majority of costs for the 2017 Memoir Project. Proceeds from theÂ book will benefit the Nantucket Atheneum.