The Beneficiary: Fortune, Misfortune, and the Story of My Father
Tues., July 2 7 pm
Nantucket Atheneum Great Hall
In The Beneficiary, A warmly felt tale of an American family’s fortunes, journalist Janny Scott excavates the rarefied world that shaped her charming, unknowable father, Robert Montgomery Scott, and provides an incisive look at the weight of inheritance, the tenacity of addiction, and the power of buried secrets.
Constance Laibe Hays Memorial Lectures
- 2018:Author Adam Gopnik discusses his book At The Stranger’s Gate: Arrival in New York.
- 2015:Author and journalist Russell Shorto discusses his book Amsterdam: A History of The World’s Most Liberal City.
- 2014: Husband and wife journalists Stephen B. Shepard and Lynn Povich discuss their more than 40 years as journailsts.
- 2013: Former New York Times journalist Janny Scott and author of A Singular Woman: The Untold Story of Barack Obama’s Mother.
- 2012: Author Buzz Bissinger, Father’s Day, A Journey into the Mind and Heart of My Extraordinary Son.
- 2011: Author Fen Montaigne, Frazier’s Penguins: A Journey To The Future in Antarctica.
- 2010: A Conversation with Authors Janet Elder, Sarah Lyall, and Mary Murphy and Moderated by Glenn Kramon.
- 2009: New York Times journalist and author David Sanger.
- 2008: Author Samantha Power.
- 2007: Author Calvin Trillin.
- 2006: CBS News journalist Katie Couric.