Long-time New York Times reporter and the author of The Real Thing: Truth and Power at the Coca-Cola Company, Constance Laibe Hays considered the Nantucket Atheneum one of her favorite places in the world. In 2005, Mrs. Hays died of cancer. To support the work of both new and established writers, her family and friends established an annual lecture in her honor.
Constance Laibe Hays Memorial Lectures
- 2018:Author Adam Gopnik discusses his book At The Stranger’s Gate: Arrival in New York.
- 2015:Author and journalist Russell Shorto discusses his book Amsterdam: A History of The World’s Most Liberal City.
- 2014: Husband and wife journalists Stephen B. Shepard and Lynn Povich discuss their more than 40 years as journailsts.
- 2013: Former New York Times journalist Janny Scott and author of A Singular Woman: The Untold Story of Barack Obama’s Mother.
- 2012: Author Buzz Bissinger, Father’s Day, A Journey into the Mind and Heart of My Extraordinary Son.
- 2011: Author Fen Montaigne, Frazier’s Penguins: A Journey To The Future in Antarctica.
- 2010: A Conversation with Authors Janet Elder, Sarah Lyall, and Mary Murphy and Moderated by Glenn Kramon.
- 2009: New York Times journalist and author David Sanger.
- 2008: Author Samantha Power.
- 2007: Author Calvin Trillin.
- 2006: CBS News journalist Katie Couric.