Mon., July 16, 2018
Great Harbor Yacht Club
Tickets on sale at the library or Purchase Tickets Online.
Adam Gopnik, a New Yorker staff writer and author, presents the Constance Laibe Hays Memorial Lecture at the Great Harbor Yacht Club. Gopnik, best known for his “long essays on big thinkers” in the New Yorker and for his “comic personal essays,” which look at the culture of modern times, has won the National Magazine Award for Essay Writing and the George Polk Award for Magazine Reporting.
In his most recent book, At the Strangers’ Gate: Arrival in New York, (published September 2017) Adam shares his experiences moving from Montreal to New York in the 1980s. He is also the author of The Table Comes First: Family, France, and the Meaning of Food, Angels & Ages: A Short Book about Darwin, Lincoln, and Modern Life, Through the Children’s Gate and Paris to the Moon.
On Nantucket, Gopnik brings his genial humor and smart commentary to the topics of society, culture and politics.
Long-time New York Times reporter and the author of The Real Thing: Truth and Power at the Coca-Cola Company, Constance Laibe Hays considered the Nantucket Atheneum one of her favorite places in the world. In 2005, Mrs. Hays died of cancer. To support the work of both new and established writers, her family and friends established an annual lecture in her honor.
Constance Laibe Hays Memorial Lectures
- 2018:Author Adam Gopnik discusses his book At The Stranger’s Gate: Arrival in New York.
- 2015:Author and journalist Russell Shorto discusses his book Amsterdam: A History of The World’s Most Liberal City.
- 2014: Husband and wife journalists Stephen B. Shepard and Lynn Povich discuss their more than 40 years as journailsts.
- 2013: Former New York Times journalist Janny Scott and author of A Singular Woman: The Untold Story of Barack Obama’s Mother.
- 2012: Author Buzz Bissinger, Father’s Day, A Journey into the Mind and Heart of My Extraordinary Son.
- 2011: Author Fen Montaigne, Frazier’s Penguins: A Journey To The Future in Antarctica.
- 2010: A Conversation with Authors Janet Elder, Sarah Lyall, and Mary Murphy and Moderated by Glenn Kramon.
- 2009: New York Times journalist and author David Sanger.
- 2008: Author Samantha Power.
- 2007: Author Calvin Trillin.
- 2006: CBS News journalist Katie Couric.