UPDATE 9/17/20: Due to current Nantucket Atheneum safety procedures, book transit and processing times will be longer than usual.
You may see overdue fines on your account for items that have already been returned. This is due to an extended quarantine period required for all incoming books and media.
Library staff are aware of this issue and are waiving all overdue fines due to this delay but it may take up to two weeks before you see an update on your account.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we prepare your books and media for a safe pick-up experience.
Dear Nantucket Community,
The Atheneum staff are very eager to get books back in your hands. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is working under phased opening schedule and, in the current phase, we have prepared the main entrance for curbside pick-up service.
Our Wi-Fi signal will be “ON” in the garden providing internet access for people with smartphones, tablets or their own laptops.
We are now accepting returns for library materials. You can return books in the book drop at the main entrance. DVDs and CDs can be returned in the DVD drop next to the elevator entrance.
Reminder: We are no longer taking book donations.
Book Pick-Up Service
The Nantucket Atheneum staff are working hard to prepare your library materials for pick-up but our team is operating on a limited schedule and an overflow of book deliveries. At this time, we are not able to provide book orders within our normal time frame and patrons should expect delays. We thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this new process together.
- Current library pick-up hours: Monday – Friday (9:00 AM – 2:00 PM)
- Holds are only ready to pick-up if you’ve received a phone call from a library staff member. Our system sends email notices automatically but it does not include the additional time staff need to check-out and wrap your books. We will call you when they are ready for pick-up.
- Please consider placing library requests online using your library card number and PIN. It helps streamline our services when you order online. You can also to check your library account or renew your current materials.
If you are not able to order online, please call (508-228-1110 x101) during pick-up hours to reserve materials.
How to pick-up your materials:
- The Atheneum will contact you by phone when your item is ready.
- Pick up the wrapped items at the main library entrance. Please wear a mask and enter one at a time. For privacy reasons, the first three letters letters of your last name and the first two letters of your first name will be written on the package. (For example, Maria Mitchell would be MIT, MA.)
- If you are 65 or over and require home delivery, please let us know and a staff member or volunteer will drop your items to you.
We promise to keep you posted as updates to our services and procedures are available. Watch our website for more information about hours and our policies as times goes on.