The Nantucket Atheneum, a private non-profit organization, provides public library service to the islandâ€™s year-round and seasonal residents, housed in a historic 1847 building and the Weezie Library for Children. The Atheneum collects, organizes and disseminates books, literature and other materials in a variety of formats to help users of all ages meet their recreational, personal, professional and intellectual needs. In keeping with its heritage, the Atheneum also serves as a cultural center for the Nantucket community by sponsoring educational programming and maintaining special collections related to the history and culture of the island.
- We believe people are important.
- We strive for excellence.
- We believe in the importance of offering free access to diverse knowledge and culture.
- We are community-centered.
- We are financially responsible.
- We honor our history.