The Atheneum accepts donations periodically throughout the year. Materials must be in good to excellent condition. We will not accept items that have missing/ torn covers, yellowed pages, highlighted text, mildew, odors or water damage. Please check over your donations carefully before bringing them to the Atheneum.
If you have a manageable amount to donate, please place materials in the bin located in the libraryâ€™s foyer. Large donations (more than a standard grocery bag) require the assistance of a staff member to make sure the books meet our donation criteria. To make arrangements call Ellie Coffin at (508) 228-1110Ă—123 or email .
Materials we love to get:
- Historical material related to Nantucket and maritime themes
- Current and former bestsellers, both fiction and nonfiction with covers
- Hardback classics
- Childrenâ€™s titles
- Current travel (published in the last 2 years)
- Unabridged audio CDs, both fiction and nonfiction
- DVDs â€“ Feature films purchased, not copied, with covers & cases
- CDs â€“ popular works with cases & liner notes
Materials we will not accept:
- Items in poor condition: yellow pages, highlighted text, mildew odor, water damage
- Titles that are three years or older in the following subjects: travel, computer science, medicine, economics, accounting, law or science.
- Encyclopedias of any age
- Condensed books
- Dated nonfiction
- Books on tape
- VHS tapes
Materials donated to the Atheneum are carefully sorted. Items in good condition not chosen for our collection are boxed up for our book sales. Book sale revenues support the Atheneumâ€™s free programs and services.