Each summer, the Atheneum presents a diverse roster of speakers who address the issues of the day as part of our Geschke Lecture Series.
The series was established in 2005 with funding from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Geschke Foundation and generous library donors. Proceeds from Geschke Lecture ticket sales pay for free programs at the Atheneum all year long.
The 2013 Geschke Lecture Series will be announced in June and tickets will be available beginning July 1 at the library and online.
Previous Geschke Lecture Series have included:
- 2012: Jill Abramson, Executive Editor of the New York Times; Lawrence Lessig, Harvard University Ethics professor and author of Republic, Lost: How Money Corrupts Congress; Panel Discussion on the Economy, moderated by David Gregory, NBC News with Jack Welch, General Electric, Louis V Gerstner, Jr., IBM and Bob Wright, NBC; And, Louis Susman, United States Ambassador to the Court of St. James.
- 2011:Ian Frazier, author and New Yorker staff writer; David Gregory NBC moderator of â€śMeet The Pressâ€ť; Richard N. Haass, president of the Council on Foreign Relations and author of 11 books; And, Joseph Nye, Jr., Dean Emeritus of the Kennedy School, Harvard University
- 2010: Computer technology innovators Chuck Geschke (Adobe) and Bob Metcalfe (3Com); New York Times Columnist and Author Thomas Friedman; Washington Post Columnist and MSNBC Commentator Eugene Robinson; and President of Pew Research Center Andrew Kohut
- 2009: Pulitzer-Prize-winning biographer Doris Kearns Goodwin; Presidential Advisor David Gergen; CBS News journalist Lesley Stahl; and Carnegie Corporation President Vartan Gregorian.
- 2008: Print and television journalist Mike Barnicle; former Delaware Governor Pete du Pont; NPR journalist Mara Liasson; Washington Post journalist Robin Wright; PBS journalist Gwen Ifill.
- 2007: Committee for Economic Development, Charles Kolb; MIT President Dr. Susan Hockfield; Natural Resources Defense Council, Frances Beinecke; Presidential Advisor David Gergen; Project HOPE Dr. John Howe III; Business Week columnists Jack and Suzy Welch.
- 2006: National Review journalist Jay Nordlinger; NPR President Kevin Klose; New York Times editor Jill Abramson; Jay Rosen of New York University; CBS News journalist Katie Couric; CBS News anchor Lesley Stahl; NBC News anchor Tim Russert; PBS television host David Brancaccio; Wall Street Journal journalist Daniel Henninger; Concord Monitor photographer Daniel Habib.
- 2005: Authors Patricia Ebrey, Nancy Berliner, Jerome Silbergeld, Andrea and Lynde McCormick, Neil Baldwin, David McCullough, Joseph S. Nye, Jr., Father Robert Drinan, and U.S. Senator Bill Frist.