Long-time New York Times reporter and the author of The Real Thing: Truth and Power at the Coca-Cola Company, Constance Laibe Hays considered the Nantucket Atheneum one of her favorite places in the world. In 2005, Mrs. Hays died of cancer. To support the work of both new and established writers, her family and friends established an annual lecture in her honor.
2013 Constance Laibe Hays Memorial Lecture
Wednesday, July 17, 5 p.m. Unitarian Church, 11 Orange Street.
Former New York Times journalist Janny Scott wrote an essay about Barack Obamaâ€™s mother as part of her 2008 Presidential election coverage.Â SheÂ went on to write “A Singular Woman: the Untold Story of Barack Obamaâ€™s Mother.” In her talk on July 17 Scott will weave together her experiences in writing about family, both President Obamaâ€™s and her own.
Lecture admission $25. Tickets on sale beginning July 1st and will be available at the library and online.
Past speakers have included:
- 2012: Author Buzz Bissinger, “Father’s Day, A Journey into the Mind and Heart of My Extraordinary Son.”
- 2011: Author Fen Montaigne, “Frazier’s Penguins: A Journey To The Future in Antarctica.”
- 2010: A Conversation with Authors Janet Elder, Sarah Lyall, and Mary Murphy and Moderated by Glenn Kramon.
- 2009: New York Times journalist and author David Sanger.
- 2008: Author Samantha Power.
- 2007: Author Calvin Trillin.
- 2006: CBS News journalist Katie Couric.