Long-time New York Times reporter and the author of The Real Thing: Truth and Power at the Coca-Cola Company, Constance Laibe Hays considered the Nantucket Atheneum one of her favorite places in the world. In 2005, Mrs. Hays died of cancer. To support the work of both new and established writers, her family and friends established an annual lecture in her honor.
2015 Constance Laibe Hays Memorial Lecture
Wed., July 8 at 8 pm
Great Harbor Yacht Club
Admission: $25, $20 for students.
Russell Shorto is an American author, historian and journalist, best known for his book on the Dutch origins of New York City, The Island at the Center of the World. His most recent work, published in October 2013, is Amsterdam: A History of the World’s Most Liberal City, which tells the story of the city from its origins, through its Golden Age, to the present day.
Past speakers have included:
- 2014: Husband and wife journalists Stephen B. Shepard and Lynn Povich discuss their more than 40 years as journailsts.” (view the lecture)
- 2013: Former New York Times journalist Janny Scott and author of “A Singular Woman: The Untold Story of Barack Obama’s Mother.”
- 2012: Author Buzz Bissinger, “Father’s Day, A Journey into the Mind and Heart of My Extraordinary Son.”
- 2011: Author Fen Montaigne, “Frazier’s Penguins: A Journey To The Future in Antarctica.”
- 2010: A Conversation with Authors Janet Elder, Sarah Lyall, and Mary Murphy and Moderated by Glenn Kramon.
- 2009: New York Times journalist and author David Sanger.
- 2008: Author Samantha Power.
- 2007: Author Calvin Trillin.
- 2006: CBS News journalist Katie Couric.