Internet Acceptable Use
Rules of Conduct
- Users will not intentionally access, transmit, copy or create material that is illegal (such as obscenity, stolen materials or illegal copies of copyrighted works).
- Users respect and protect the privacy of others, and will refrain from attempting to view or read material being used by others.
- Users will only use their assigned accounts.
- Users will not view, use or copy passwords, data or networks to which they are not authorized.
- Users will not distribute private information about others or themselves.
- Users will not destroy or damage data, networks or other resources that do not belong to them, without clear permission of the owner.
- Users will not install, download or modify software on Nantucket Atheneum machines.
- Users will not make any attempt to gain unauthorized access to restricted files or networks, or do damage or modify computer equipment or software.
- Prompt payment is required by users who incur charges for printing, copying, office supplies or any authorized fees.
- Users must sign in to use the next available terminal. Terminals will not be reserved for persons who are not in the immediate vicinity when their name is called, and telephone reservations will not be taken.
- Access sessions will be limited to 30 minutes, unless otherwise authorized by the librarian in charge.
- Users must end their session and leave the terminal when asked to do so by authorized Atheneum staff.
- Users are required to wait 60 minutes before requesting to sign up for another session.
- The librarian in charge will determine how many sessions per day users can have; such limitations will be dependent on facility capacity and the librarian in chargeâ€™s determination.
- Users will report threatening or discomforting materials or behavior to the staff member in charge.