Goals & Objectives
GOAL 1: To maintain the quality of the Nantucket Atheneumâ€™s services and programs within the limits of its financial resources.
Objectives: Strengthen Atheneum information services to meet the needs of community members to be informed citizens on local, national and world affairs.
- Increase virtual holdings of information
- Aggregate information into user-friendly physical and virtual pathfinders
- Update technology plan and secure long-term funding for technology
- Provide opportunities for learning information fluency
- Develop adult education programs including on-line learning opportunities
- Increase community awareness of Atheneum information services
- Strengthen Atheneum literacy services and programs to support youth and adults learning to speak, read and write.
- Offer Early Literacy programs for parents and caregivers
- Develop multi-cultural programs and increase multi-cultural holdings
- Create additional literacy and life-long learning links on Atheneum website
- Strengthen Literacy Volunteers of the Atheneum (LVA), the libraryâ€™s English Language Learning program
- Conduct community needs assessment including family literacy and basic literacy to determine future scope of LVA
- Secure long-term funding
- Create study areas for small group and interactive learning within current building
- Increase community awareness of Atheneum literacy services
- Safeguard the Atheneumâ€™s historic collections and records.
- Secure a full appraisal of historic art and artifacts
- Digitize Atheneum institutional records
- Digitize historic logbooks
- Secure off-site, climate controlled storage for institutional records and historic newspaper collections
- Increase community awareness of Atheneumâ€™s historic collection
Goal 2: Strengthen and expand the Nantucket Atheneumâ€™s financial resources.
- Continue The Sustaining the Atheneum campaign to create and endowment for the historic building and grounds
- Secure long term funding for library technology
- Continue efforts to increase financial support from the community of Nantucket to its public library
- Continue cost containment efforts and sustainable, cost-effective, and energy-efficient building and technology operations
Goal 3: Increase the Nantucket communityâ€™s knowledge of the Nantucket Atheneum’s role in the community and its financial resources.
- Continuously improve the Nantucket Atheneumâ€™s use of technology to serve and communicate effectively with the Nantucket community.
- Develop and implement a Comprehensive Marketing Plan to increase community awareness of library services and funding particularly to underserved populations.
Complete text of the plan: Nantucket Atheneum Strategic Plan 2013- 2015 (pdf)